There are many studies that show that high protein diet can help in weight loss. But quantity matters. It is vital that you know how much protein you are consuming everyday or else it might backfire and you may end up gaining rather than losing weight.
Let’s check out top 10 foods that come with high protein and are best recommended for weight loss.
- Almonds – a handful of raw almonds will keep you full till next meal. It also resists the sugar cravings in your body which will help you in automatically cutting down high calorie sugary foods.
- Pumpkin seeds – sprinkle them on your breakfast cereal which will keep you full for a good long time.
- Eggs – be it breakfast or lunch, eggs are an excellent partner and will assist in keeping your blood sugar levels at balance thereby cutting your unnecessary sugar cravings.
- Organic yogurt – a spoonful of yogurt in muesli, smoothie or porridge makes a healthy snack. Since yogurt is high on protein it will curb the spiking blood sugar levels. This can however promote weight gain which is why we recommend natural yogurt and not the flavoured or sugar added ones.
- Grass fed meat – high in iron plus protein, grass-fed meat is the new in weight loss program.
- Fish – comes with high level of omega 3 fatty acids and is especially found in kinds such as salmon, sardines etc. So your heart up with fish that contain healthy fats & protein that will keep your weight in balance.
- Lentils – beans and other legumes are not only rich in fibre but also contain good amount of protein that are vital for balancing the insulin levels in body.
- Hummus – Another protein & fibre food from the goodie bag of Mother Nature, Hummus makes a good nutritious dip for veggie sticks or crackers.
- Quinoa – fibre rich product, quinoa arrives with good protein that is absolutely gluten-free thereby keeps hunger pangs at bay. So make a delicious porridge, salad or curries with quinoa as the main ingredient.
- Brown rice – a healthy grain that assists you in weight loss and controls your sugar cravings. Brown rice powder is also available which you can use to prepare a protein based smoothie.
How much protein is necessary?
The requirement differs as per age, gender, weight etc. Usually most adults need 3 serves of protein a day, for instance 2 eggs, 1 cup of milk or ½ cup of nuts/seeds. Necessary protein in the body helps in proper function of the body such as building muscles, regulating cells, hair, nails, hormones etc.
When you are choosing your protein make sure you go with the healthy ones such as:
- Plant based foods – soy, legumes, grains, nuts
- Animal based – lean cut of meat, eggs, dairy, skinless chicken
Do NOT go for processed meat such as bacon, sausages, fast food, full-fat dairy products etc. as they contain saturated fat that can be detrimental on your body.